The holiday season is upon us, yet more families and friend groups are considering calling off their usual holiday soirees and opting for a season of solitude. This time last year, we were meeting under the mistletoe, cuddling by the fire and gathering around the Christmas tree with our loved ones and a warm mug of freshly made hot cocoa by our sides. But this year, the new and rather unfortunate reality is that the picturesque holiday scene we’ve grown so accustomed to is no longer the norm. What once was the season to be jolly has now become the season to stay home and stay safe.
But, we’ll be the first to say that believe it or not you can still enjoy the very best that the season has to offer, even if you’re spending it solo. Which is why we’re sharing our top tips for kicking holiday loneliness to the curb and making the most out of the rest of 2020.
1. Plan one thing each day that brings you joy – Whether you decide to bake a new holiday cookie recipe, watch a marathon of your favorite Christmas movies or plan a socially distanced date with your best friend, giving yourself a little something to look forward to each day will help keep spirits bright. Engaging in activities that bring up feelings of joy will help to create a positive distraction from the feelings of loneliness and sadness that you may be feeling while staying in isolation. We know first hand that even the smallest moments of joy can make a big impact.
Shop Essentials For Boosting Joy:
2. Treat yourself – While it might be a bit of temporary bliss talking, we believe in and fully understand the importance of treating ourselves on a special occasion. Maybe you’ll splurge on that super chic pair of boots like this or gift yourself the eyeshadow palette you’ve been lusting over for months like this one. It doesn’t have to be anything expensive or extravagant, but letting yourself indulge a bit will restore a touch of that holiday joy you might be lacking this year. If you’re still in need of inspiration check out our holiday designer gift guide here.
Of course, your momentary moment of happiness doesn’t have to be monetary. But if you’re spending the holidays alone, you might as well lean into it. We’re firm believers in the idea that you should treat yourself to anything your heart desires, especially when there’s no one around to protest. If you want pizza and wings for Christmas Dinner, go for it! If you want to spend all day in your coziest, cringiest, mismatched pajamas, that’s fair game too! Don’t be afraid to celebrate the season in the unique way you come up for yourself. Who knows? Maybe this year will be the year you start one of your most favorite holiday traditions.
3. Phone a friend – When you’re spending the holidays alone, it can be really easy to succumb to the isolation. And while hermiting and binge-watching every last show on our Netflix queues seems like a tempting offer, it’s actually even more important now than ever before to connect with others. Since we’ve all got plenty of practice and we’ve become pros at finding socially distant ways to connect, this one should be nothing new. Maybe you’ll schedule a facetime call with the relatives you won’t be able to see in person this year.
Maybe you’ll throw a virtual holiday party for you and your best gal pals, or start a group chat with some of your favorite coworkers. Whatever you choose to do, reaching out to your loved ones is one of the best ways to make sure that you don’t feel so lonely during the holiday season.
Shop Essentials For Connecting Virtually:
4. Practice self care – Take advantage of your alone time by using it to pamper yourself. Now is your chance to give yourself a luxurious at-home manicure, to whip up a DIY face mask, or even to try out a new Youtube makeup tutorial. This holiday season, there’s no need to focus on treating anyone but yourself, so soak up every opportunity you have to indulge, luxuriate and do all of the self-care practices you normally wouldn’t make time for. We know from experience that self care can truly be one of the best ways to make ourselves feel cared for, especially when we’re facing a short spell of loneliness.
Shop Essentials For Self Care:
5. Workout – Exercise releases endorphins – aka the chemical that your body naturally produces to help you cope with stress and pain. By getting your body moving, you’ll be kickstarting your day in a healthy way and giving your mood a little boost, all at once. So turn on your favorite holiday tunes and dance around your kitchen like no one’s watching – because they’re not! Bonus points if you meet up with a workout buddy for a socially distant physical activity or complete an online workout class.
Shop Essentials For Working Out:
6. Give yourself something to look forward to – We think we speak on behalf of everyone when we say that we’re more than ready for 2020 to be over. After a year filled with so much chaos and uncertainty, it’s pretty safe to assume that we’re all looking forward to the new opportunities 2021 has to offer. But, even though the pandemic has changed how we live and how we’ll plan to spend our time going forward, it doesn’t mean that we can’t still be hopeful about what the future holds. Making plans with our loved ones like mapping out potential travel destinations can be a great way to give ourselves something to look forward to for when we can finally prepare for our 2021 departures. We’ve found that a little bit of optimism can go a very long way – and this year it might just be the very best gift you can give to yourself!
Shop Essentials For Making Plans:
If you need someone to chat with this holiday season, please feel free to reach out to us on the @prettylittlehangers social channels! Our DMs are always open and we’d love to hear from you.
We’re sending you all wishes of joy and happiness, now and always.
Xo, The Pretty Little Hangers Team
ShannenDecember 15, 2020
Loved this ! Such good tips 🙂
Pretty Little HangersDecember 16, 2020
Thank you, Shannen!
LovelyDecember 16, 2020
These are great tips to help manage loneliness. Thank you for sharing this!
Pretty Little HangersDecember 16, 2020
Thank you so much for reading, Lovely! We hope the tips were helpful <3