Did you know that thawing a turkey can take a minimum of 24 hours? Have you ever heard of the term giblets? Even though I successfully cooked a delicious turkey for the first time it was questions like these that made me label myself as an amateur turkey cooker. The entire turkey cooking experience was a labour of love. Check out how I made my first turkey here.
Paprika Roast Turkey Recipe:
- 1 12- to 14-pound turkey, thawed if frozen, giblets removed (neck reserved)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth, if needed
- Dry-brine the turkey: Pat the turkey dry and put on a rimmed baking sheet. Rub 2 tablespoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, the garlic powder and dried dill all over the turkey. Refrigerate, uncovered, overnight.
- Position a rack in the lowest part of the oven, remove the other racks and preheat to 350 degrees F. Toss the thyme, shallots, carrots, celery and turkey neck with the olive oil in a large roasting pan; set a rack on top. Stuff the turkey cavity with the apple, garlic and fresh dill and tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Place the turkey breast-side up on the rack and tuck the wings under the body. Let sit at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Roast the turkey 1 hour, then baste with the pan drippings. Roast for 1 more hour, basting every 30 minutes. Melt the butter with the sweet paprika and hot paprika in a small saucepan over medium heat. Brush the turkey all over with about half of the butter. Continue roasting until the skin is crisp and a thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 160 degrees F to 165 degrees F, 15 to 60 more minutes, brushing with more of the butter during the last 10 minutes. (Add the broth to the roasting pan if the drippings are getting too dark.) Remove the turkey from the oven and brush with the remaining butter. Transfer the turkey (on the rack) to a rimmed baking sheet and let rest 30 minutes before carving. Use the pan drippings for gravy.
Note: Dry-brine the turkey (step 1) the night before.
I hope this video inspires you to use this turkey recipe for your next holiday meal.
Shop turkey cooking essentials: