I’m excited to share my daily makeup tips and tricks with you. I am by no means an expert at applying makeup, and I am not even close to being a makeup artist. However, I love trying different looks and have learned a few do’s and don’ts of what makeup works best for me and my skin type along the way. Since I have acne prone skin and it is extremely sensitive, I tend to use the same makeup brands (i.e. Chanel, Dior, Nars, Bobbi Brown and MAC), and I am very cautious when testing new products.
One of my dearest friends is a makeup artist in Los Angeles, and she introduced me to contouring and a winged liner look that I use in my daily makeup routine- Thanks, Ash! Unfortunately, I can not duplicate her talent, but I do hope that I can give you a glimpse into her artistry with my step-by-step daily face and eye makeup guide.
1. I start by applying 2-3 pumps of the Dior Skin Forever foundation in honey beige onto the back of my hand. Using the Bobbi Brown foundation brush, I apply the foundation to my entire face starting with my cheeks and working my way up to my nose and forehead. This foundation goes on like butter, and it gives your face flawless coverage and a luminous glow. Dior Skin Forever is one of my go-to foundation staples. If you decide to give it a try, you may never use another foundation again.
2. Next, I use the Bobbi Brown cream shadow brush to apply my concealer. The concealer I use is also by Bobbi Brown, and the color is called honey. Starting at the inner corner of my eye, I draw a triangular shape towards the top of my cheekbone and connect this line to the outer corner of my eye blending in the product as I apply. After, I use the powder provided in the concealer kit to set the entire area under my eye. This product is excellent for covering dark circles and doesn’t cause any line creases under the eyes. I’ve been using this concealer since I was in high school, and I swear by it.
3. Finally, I set my entire face using this Chanel powder and Mac powder brush for application. This powder leaves my face shine-free throughout the day.
4. I’m not a huge fan of wearing eyeshadow on a daily basis, but I usually wear eyeliner and mascara every day. One of my favorite gel eyeliners is by Bobbi Brown (surprise, surprise), and it comes in several different colors. Personally, I think that you have more control over the thickness of the liner if you apply it with this brush. I dip the tip of the ultra-fine eyeliner brush into the gel making sure I wipe off any excess onto the edge of the container. Then I start at the center of my eye and press the product on my lashes gliding it across my eyelid. After, I connect the product to the inner part of my eyelid, and follow my lower lash line and draw a wing extending the liner outward. Voila- you now have a natural winged liner look!
5. To make my eyes pop, I use the Diorshow Iconic mascara with the incurved brush. I apply 1-2 coats and usually use an eyelash curler beforehand. This mascara is pricey but totally worth the investment since it makes your lashes look longer and fuller.
6. I’m in love with Benefit’s Gimme Brow gel. This product is easy to apply, fills in sparse areas on your brows, and thickens them. I like to apply the gel on my eyebrows first by combing my brows upwards and then towards the outer corners of my eyes. If you like filling in your eyebrows just as much as I do, I highly recommend adding this product to your brow routine.
7. Now that my eyes are completed, I can tackle the final touches on my face. I use a Nars bronzer to contour my face, and help give me that sun-kissed J.Lo glow. I dip the Nars Kabuki brush in my bronzer and apply it to my hairline first, then directly below my cheekbones, and then re-trace the product outward towards my ear and down to my jawline. This fluid motion of application should look like a figure three. Next, I blend the bronzer into my neck and chest area so that my face, neck and chest aren’t two different colours. There’s nothing worse than someone telling you to blend in your face makeup- eek!
8. Finally, I finish my daily makeup look with blush. Blush is one of my favorite makeup products. I think that it can instantly transform you from a walking zombie in to a human being in seconds. My daily blush of choice is Stay Pretty by MAC. Stay Pretty is a peachy colour and looks great on my skin tone. I prefer to use this brush when I apply blush; however, I tend to switch up my blush brushes often.
I hope that this step-by-step guide showcasing my daily makeup application is helpful and will inspire you to experiment with your own makeup application. Remember practice makes perfect!
If you have any other questions about my guide or about the products I use, feel free to leave a comment in the comments sections below. Also, if you’re interested in booking Ashley for makeup application or lash extensions, please email me at email@example.com for further info.